Thursday, August 11, 2011

3 years, where did you go?

Last night was the last time I would ever find myself standing at a Fulton Pic Pac cash register.
I just read that sentence like 40 times and I still cannot believe it. It feels like yesterday that I was a 15 year old girl learning the difference between a nectarine and a peach, and here I am already saying my goodbyes. Don't get me wrong, every day of that job was just another checkmark on my calendar until I made it to this day, it just doesn't feel like it has happened yet.
 In the last 3 years, I've made friends, enemies, favorite customers, etc. but the most important thing is that my whole personality changed. My friend Amber (who I didn't know until I worked at Pic Pac with her) told me that when I first started, she thought I was going to cast a spell on her or something. I was depressed, obsessed with vampires, and antisocial to an alarming degree. We fought constantly, to the point of her setting my hair on fire one night because I was ignoring her.
Somehow, through all the heavy watermelons, Thanksgiving rushes, and snowball fights on aisle 3, I became a better person. I'm a lot more patient with people, I make friends easier, and I'm well known in my community. I guess it took 2 nights full of emotional goodbyes to make me realize what I was really leaving behind me.

So, to all my friends that I worked with down there, thank you for sticking beside me these last few years and scaring the living hell out of me just for the fun of it. To my enemies, thank you for showing me exactly why Pic Pac is NOT my career choice. Finally, to my mother: I will never have to look for another smock again. We can all finally chill out.

9 days feels like forever and no time at all at the same time. Why is move in day coming so quickly?

Until then.

3 comments: